Thursday, August 23, 2007

Supporting the Troops

Yesterday--in a stunning display of audacity for a man who used the National Guard to hide from his own service in the Vietnam War, and then skipped out on even that--President Bush said, among other profoundly unbelievable things:
Our troops are seeing this progress that is being made on the ground. And as they take the initiative from the enemy, they have a question: Will their elected leaders in Washington pull the rug out from under them just as they're gaining momentum and changing the dynamic on the ground in Iraq? Here's my answer is clear: We'll support our troops, we'll support our commanders, and we will give them everything they need to succeed.
Somehow, I sincerely doubt that the first question on the minds of "the troops," many of whom are on their third or fourth deployment, is "Will my elected leaders in Washington pull the rug out from under me?" No, I'm guessing that the question at the forefront of most troopers minds is, "When the hell can I go home from this insane war?"

And frankly, I wonder why the Democrats don't pound on exactly that point more often. (Ans.: they're cowards.) I mean, who supports the troops more? President Bush and his war-mongering compatriots, who want to continue throwing them into the middle of this endless civil war indefinitely with no clear plan for "victory," or even an end? Or the folks who want to bring them home?

If I was on the ground in Iraq, I know how I'd feel.

So don't listen to all this hoo-ha about how trying to wind down the war through cutting the funding means that you "don't support the troops." It's garbage. The only way the Congress can bring the troops home is through the "power of the purse." That's their only option. Bush, like it or not, is the Commander in Chief. Congress controls the money; Bush controls the command structure. So when they try to cut off his funding, it's not because they "don't support the troops," it's because they want to bring them home.

So ask yourself who is more supportive of the troops: the folks who keep voting to endless fund this boneheaded war, or the folks who are trying--through the only means available to them--to bring the troops home. And then call ol' Rush Limbaugh and tell him.

I apologize for the rant, but it infuriates me when folks on the right insist that if you don't give Bush all the money he wants with no conditions, it means you "don't support the troops." I wouldn't trust this group to run a game of Clue correctly, let alone prosecute a war; why on Earth should we give them a blank check with the lives of our sons and daughters? Good grief.

No comments: