Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Unelectable Hillary

As per usual, polls are showing that Hillary Clinton is a) leading the pack of Democratic primary candidates, and b) losing to the Republican front runners (who are, in the main in my opinion, a bunch of loons).

It has always baffled me that anyone can think that Hillary Clinton can be elected President, and this poll is just another example. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that she's a woman, and I certainly don't think it has anything to do with whether or not she'd be a good President--and personally, I think she'd be fine (and certainly better than the incompetent chowderhead currently occupying the Oval office)--I think it's because too damn many people hate her.

Certainly politicians are good at deluding themselves--they probably wouldn't be politicians otherwise--but Ms. Clinton's ability to convince herself that she is electable has always struck me as profoundly self-delusional. I hope she goes back and looks at all the polls like this, and at the fund raising differences between her and candidates like Barack Obama (his has raised about the same amount of money, but his is coming from hundreds more small donations, indicating, to me at least, a much broader range of support), and realizes that she doesn't stand a chance. And I hope that Democratic primary voters realize the same thing, or we could end up with a President Guiliani.

No comments: