Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Good, Old Fashioned, Nerd-Related Whining

Or "whinging," as they call it in the British world.

Ol Steve Jobs just finished his new products announcement at Apple, and it's funny for me in a number of ways:

  • I never used to give a rip about MacWorld, as I work in the PC universe pretty exclusively
  • I was just whining myself a few months ago about how innovation at Palm is completely dead, and here's Apple--itself given up for dead multiple times over the years--literally en fuego with innovations
  • I have resisted going to Macs for years--about 25 years, to be exact--due to the price, and the fact that as a freelancer, I need to be able to use certain particular applications that are PC based; and yet, I find myself actually considering getting a Mac (at least as a secondary system)
But that being said, let's start with the whining:

  • I'm glad to be able to personalize my Home screen on the iPhone, but I would have appreciated things like Bluetooth A2DP or voice dialing.
  • No announcement about a new iPhone with 16GB (or more?).
  • No word about the timeframe for the 3G iPhone?
  • No word about things like--oh, I dunno, native games?
  • The worst thing, of course, is Apple's simply idiotic restrictions on "rental" content. Look, I know Jobs probably had to accept some compromises in order to get so many Old Media companies to sign on, and I can sorta accept the one month limitation on "rented" movies. (I put "rented" in quotes, by the way, because "renting bits" seems like a weird concept to me.) But forcing you to finish watching movies within 24 hours of starting them? That's utter stupidity. One of the beauties of buying a movie or TV episode is that you can watch as much as you want, whenever you want. It will frequently take me two or three or more days to watch a movie (on DVD or an iPhone); I don't see any good reason why I should be limited to "hurry up and watch!"

    I can see no reason--honestly, none--for "renting" a movie through iTunes when I can get the same movie, probably for a less price per-unit, from Netflix, which I can then watch whenever I want, as many times as I want, taking as long as I durn well please. This is a hugely stupid move, in my opinion.
  • How about copy and paste capability? Seems pretty important. Hey, call me crazy.
  • And lest I forget, still no eBooks! C'mon, Jobs! Get on the stick!
Anyway, like I said, I'm just whining. I'm still pretty excited to see what Apple will come out with over the next few months (my guess: a 3G iPhone by June).

No comments: